Maine Maple Sunday - March 23, 2014
Enjoy a sweet spring treat at one of the Maine's many sugarhouses!
You can also check out Celebrate the Maine Woods!, a year-long exploration of what Maine's forests and woodlands do each day to sustain and inspire us. Starting in September 2013, hundreds of organizations are offering forest-related events and activities open to all. We encourage you to explore their website and calendar of events!
And the award goes to...
The Maine TREE Foundation recently honored new and outstanding Certified Logging Professionals.
The Maine Forest Products Council also recently announced its 2013 awards for Outstanding Logger, Outstanding Forester, and more.
Congratulations to all CLP graduates and 2013 award recipients!
Leadership needed for brook trout, says retired biologist Roger AuClair
by George Smith, George's Outdoor News (Bangor Daily News online) - November 25, 2013
Read George's blog post...
(You can also check out this piece in the latest edition of The Maine Sportsman)
New conservation project to benefit outdoor recreation, economy
by FSM Deputy Executive Director Karin R. Tilberg, Moosehead Matters - November 19, 2013
"The Forest Society of Maine (FSM), Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands, and Pine State Timberlands, are collaborating to conserve 14,000 acres of sustainably managed forests and sensitive habitats along the Appalachian Trail and the West Branch of the Pleasant River. Known as the Gulf Hagas – White Cap project, the initiative will benefit the region’s economy by conserving spectacular recreation assets and productive forestlands in the greater Moosehead Lake region."
More news from the Forest Society of Maine
- 1-minute hike: Partridge and Ducktail Ponds in Amherst
by Aislinn Sarnacki, Bangor Daily News Outdoors - November 19, 2013
- Carey Kish: A look at the Amherst Mountains Community Forest
Portland Press Herald, November 3, 2013
- Community forests make a comeback in Maine
by North Cairn, Portland Press Herald - October 16, 2013
- Van Buren Water District easement project a model for watershed improvements, protections
by Kathryn Olmstead, special to the Bangor Daily News - September 26, 2013
- Land trust oversees special values in the Moosehead region - by FSM Director of Forestland Stewardship Jake Metzler, Moosehead Matters, September 2013
- Land conservation supports economic development in Jackman - by FSM Deputy Executive Director Karin R. Tilberg, Moosehead Matters, August 12, 2013
- Moosehead Lake conservation project makes President’s budget - by FSM Deputy Executive Director Karin R. Tilberg, Moosehead Matters, June 2013
- Water District, land trust protect clean water, public access, and habitat in Aroostook County - May 25, 2013
- Working to Conserve Watersheds and Recreation Resources - by Karin R. Tilberg, Moosehead Matters, April 9, 2013
- Forest Society of Maine: Protecting Maine's forest landscape through conservation easement - by Forests for Maine's Future Writer Joe Rankin, March 25, 2013
- Maine wetlands projects selected for grants - Portland Press Herald, January 14, 2013
- Moosehead Region is the Land of Trails - by Karin R. Tilberg, Moosehead Messenger, January 8, 2013